Monday, January 31, 2011

What's on My Mind

Usually, "out of sight, out of mind" is a good thing. But, I'm in one of those moods where just the opposite is true. It's probably this dreary Baku weather that has put me in a reflective funk, but there have been a few people on my mind more than normal lately.

My youngest niece is dealing with complications from a broken ankle that won't heal properly and now she has the flu too. I wish I could give her a great big bear hug. Maybe we could curl up on the couch together and watch a movie. I'd bring her anything that she wanted. More blankets? Chocolate shake? I'd try to brighten her day.

My oldest niece is a rock star student in her last year of high school. She is such a smarty pants that she takes all advanced classes, even though she already has a full ride to college. School is really stressing her out, plus her part-time job often requires late hours. I wish I could tell her that it will get easier, but we all know that it only gets tougher. I'd love to kidnap her for a week and just let her sleep until noon everyday.

And then there's my friend in Houston who just moved into a new house with her 2 children, husband and 2 dogs. I really want to see her new digs. I wish it was circa 2009, when I could just stop by her house and waste away the afternoon, hanging out for a few hours. Or our Baku friend who just left the company to go work in Uganda. He was the life of the party and his stories made for great re-telling. I'm also really jealous of my friend in OKC who is training for a marathon. We used to be running buddies, but that is kind of difficult now.

So, these are the things that have been juggling around in my head. I hold them all close to my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's time to come home. Do you want to be the one to break it to Kyle or should I?

    Sending BIG hugs to you from the other side of the world!!

    Love ya! Jackie

    *No Fiji pics yet. On my "to-do" list for Spring Break... but don't hold your breath! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on your blog and am so touched to be in it :) I wish you were here wasting away the afternoons with me too. I miss you so much and hope you have had a beautiful day to help cheer you up! Love you bunches and praying May comes quick for you!

    ReplyDelete