Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Evil Eye

It's kind of like a game of "Where's Waldo?". They are everywhere, you just have to look closely. I'm talking about the evil eye - a talisman of sorts that is in the shape of an actual eye or a perfect circle. It features no lashes, just the black pupil outlined with light blue, then white, then a darker blue. Maybe you've even seen them before, but I had never noticed one until we vacationed in Greece. The evil eye was used as a small, simple decoration at restaurants, shops and at our hotel. I think it's probably similar to having a horseshoe hanging above your door in the USA. Kyle even bought me an ultra-chic evil eye charm for a silver necklace.

After Greece, I started seeing them every time I blinked - in Istanbul, Dubai, Egypt and back in Baku as well. Drivers hang them from the rearview mirror. Sailors put them on boats. Jewelry shops have them on anklets, bracelets and earrings. The security guard hut has one. The school down the block has one in a window. The eyes are always staring!
http://muslimmatters.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/evileye3.jpg
(example of an evil eye medallion)

According to my brief research, the concept of the evil eye started in the Mediterranean, but has spread throughout much of the world. Until now, I had only heard of "giving someone the evil eye," which isn't too far off base. The superstition says that some people (particularly people with blue or green eyes) are able to enviously look at someone and bring bad luck, illness, harm or death. The idea is that by displaying an evil eye charm, the jealous look will be reflected back, thus, providing protection.

I just finished reading the non-fiction book "Married to a Bedouin" by Marguerite van Geldermalsen, a New Zealand woman, who in 1978 was backpacking across the Middle East when she met, fell in love, married and lived with a Jordanian Bedouin. In her account, she says that newborn babies were shielded from view as to not draw envious stares. Children were purposely allowed to be unkempt so that their beauty would not shine through and the evil eye gaze would not be given.

It all sounds a little heavy on the folklore to me, but it is fun to spot the evil eye wherever we go, because it will definitely be there. And, I really like my necklace from Greece.

(Brooke wearing Evil Eye necklace)

No comments:

Post a Comment