Monday, May 30, 2011

Shifting Gears

When I started this blog, I was writing about my international experiences for an American audience. Now that I am again state-side, the tone has somewhat shifted.  Recalling my favorite Reader's Digest article "Life in these United States," I suppose that I am now focused on my new life in the USA and describing events to international readers.  I apologize if Americans find the topics mundane, but maybe they'll see things in a different light nonetheless.

A recent observation about my fellow Okies is how adept at weather forecasting we have become. Even the most redneck hillbilly is able to intelligently tell you, using correct verbiage, what a dry line, super cell, mesocyclone, wind sheer and Doppler radar are.  We have all watched enough Gary England (local meteorologist/celebrity) to be experts on the subject of funnel clouds, wall clouds and tornadoes.  It's a matter of self-preservation when you live in "tornado alley."

What I love the most is how extraordinarily polite people are.  And I chuckle every time I catch myself saying, "that person was so rude" because compared to my former countries of residence, Okies are saints. We even slow down on the interstate to allow someone else to merge and that person in turn will give a happy wave.  Baku take note:  honking is not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment