Sunday, May 15, 2011

A little longing for Baku

My dear Baku friend, Gemma and her husband John, have graciously taken care of Kyle since my departure from Baku a month ago. I'm worried because Gemma is a fabulous cook and she's been preparing great feast of curry, dumplings, pot pies and bread puddings - all of the fine traditional English dishes (she is British after all). The worrisome part is that Kyle might start to expect this. He'll have to readjust his expectations because I'm all about easy Tex-Mex and salads. And to be fair, the availability of lettuce in Azerbaijan was scarce, so maybe he's looking forward to it. Maybe?

Brooke & Gemma at the Irish Ball
As Kyle is living vicariously through my American experiences, ("you ate icecream, ran a race and peacefully walked the dogs?!" he jealously asked after I had a particularly productive Saturday morning), then I am also living out my Baku life through him. Kyle having dinner with Gemma and John, drinks with Max and Adriana, running with the harriers, letting the dogs parade back and forth to Kira and Georges' apartment, and being chauffeured around by Hikmet, gives me the "in" to Baku that I might otherwise be missing from my previous life.

It was all a wonderful experience, not always good, but never boring. And even though I'm missing the hubby and anxious for his arrival in a couple of days, I will definitely miss this connection, however slight, to my Baku friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment