Sunday, April 24, 2011

Missing the Most

It was relatively easy to say goodbye to Baku the city. It was more difficult to say farewell to my friends. Since we were all "orphans" living in a foreign city, we only had each other to rely on. It was impossible to run home to mama or to even console oneself with shopping therapy. So, we did what anyone would do in our situation, we had cocktails! I will miss these friends more than I thought possible. There's something about being strangers in a strange land that ties people together.
The pilates girls at the Rotary Disco Party: Kira, Adriana, Donna, Christie and Brooke


And I cannot fail to mention the other "rocks" in my Baku life...Hikmet and Farhad.

Hikmet was our driver and so much more - tour guide, market shopping companion and explainer of all things Azeri. There were days when I talked more with Hikmet than anyone else. He was patient, kind and put up with what I'm sure were my annoying American habits.
Kyle, Hikmet and Brooke all dressed up before Srinath's wedding


Farhad was my infallable boxing coach. The little man routinely kicked my butt and yelled at me in Russian and I loved every second.
Farhad and Brooke before the final workout


No comments:

Post a Comment