Friday, April 8, 2011

Bitter Sweet

There was a day mid-January when I honestly thought, "I cannot make it another second in Baku!" The weather was cold and rainy, the air quality was dismal, the dogs looked miserable or maybe that was just me projecting my emotions. Whatever the case, I wanted out of Azerbaijan. But as these things seem to go, the next day was a little sunny and the next day even sunnier and "snap!" - I was out of my funk. I started teaching pilates, taking an online class and working out with a boxing coach. I made new friends and made coffee dates and lunch dates and dinner dates. Before I knew it, I was longing for some down time to take a nap.

And now, it seems that this too is coming to an end. My husband has accepted a job out of Oklahoma City. Honestly, he didn't seek a job back in the states, that's just where it happened to be. I feel it's fate really. This will give us an opportunity to reconnect with friends and family and maybe start a family of our own. But as my time in Baku winds down, it's all becoming bitter sweet. The things that drive me crazy about the Azeris, I now find endearing. The incessant honking and silly mustaches and all black attire and no smiles, don't even faze me anymore. Maybe I've become anesthetized to it all. I'd like to think that I've accepted the Azeris for who they are. I don't have to understand why they do the things that they do, but I can at least appreciate their particular uniqueness and the experiences that have made them who they are.

We are not closing the door on international living. In fact, we hope to do this again in a few years, just hopefully not in an ex-Soviet country. Maybe we can do South America or Europe. It's a big world and I'd like to try it all out. For the time being, we are going to see where life takes us and currently that is the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment