Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Mirror Mosque

I'm on a roll. Coming off the high of touching the sacred relic at the Russian Orthodox Church, I figured my "special treatment" luck had run out. Apparently, I was gifted one more VIP experience, this time at the Sanctuary of Mir Movsum Agha, or Mirror Mosque, just on the outskirts of Baku city.

Exterior of Mirror Mosque

My friend, Galina, once again served as tour guide and instructed me on how to wear my veil and the customs for entering a mosque. When there are not scheduled services at this mosque, it becomes less strict and allows sight-seers of all faiths. Also, men and women were allowed to enter together and one was not expected to perform ablution (the washing of hands and feet) before entering, but we did have to take our shoes off. This mosque was more of a holy pilgrimage site and has become a sort of last resort for those seeking healing of ailments. The poet Seyid is buried at the mosque and his tomb is the main draw. At Seyid's shrine, visitors walk around 3 times, saying prayers as they move in a conglomerate circle. The truly reverent were "walking" on their knees.

Outside the mosque, stalls for ablution.

It was beautiful. We were not allowed to take pictures of the interior and it's a shame that I do not have the words to properly describe it. But, every square inch of walls and ceiling were covered in mosaic mirrors. It was like being inside a giant disco ball. As we exited, a male employee motioned for us to follow him. I was reluctant, but Galina seemed at ease, so we went. He took us to the second floor for a better view of the tomb and into a special prayer room, both of which usually only allow men inside. We were the only people there, gazing down onto the 100 or more worshipers below. Again, I was awe-struck at the mosque's beauty and at the incredible opportunity we were given.


Brooke outside the second floor of the mosque

We ended the afternoon with tea at Galina's summer house or "dacha" as it is called in Russian. And just when I thought nothing could top the mosque visit, I was introduced to Galina's 2 Central Asian Shepherd puppies, who will grow to over 150 pounds each. I'm not being dramatic. I have never seen anything so adorable in my entire life. Playing with the pups was like getting a hug from an angel. My face hurt from smiling so much.



Brother and sister were like polar bear pups!

1 comment: