Friday, February 25, 2011

Middle East Paradise

I love Dubai. I really, really do. It's beautiful by all big-city standards, not just by comparison to Baku. We recently returned from a long weekend in my Middle East paradise. It just wasn't long enough. Sigh. 75 degree weather, clear skies, laying by the pool, gazing at the tallest building in the world.


Tallest building in the world: Burj Khalifa


Our hotel pool area with the Burj Khalifa sphire above the roof line.

We did some damage at several of the amazing Dubai malls. But, that was to be expected. My favorite part about the malls is the crazy, eclectic mix of people. Indians and Pakistanis dressed traditionally, Russian women wearing way too little clothing, British and American men with white tennis shoes and jean shorts, and the whole mix of the Arab world in variations of one-piece dresses and head coverings.

I am impressed with the completely covered women who seem to act like all the other moms I've ever seen in action - not enough hands, too much going on, children pulling in every direction - and it all appears more complicated by the limited field of vision, long hem and billowing sleeves, but they somehow manage.










Other noteworthy things are the separate stalls in all public bathrooms for feet washing or "ablution," which one would use before going to the little mosques (think of a prayer room) in the malls. I also like spotting the directional signage for Mecca, which can be found on the ceiling in each hotel room.



As we take full advantage of Dubai, we inevitably sit with a cup of coffee at Starbucks. My topic of conversation is the lingering questions about Middle Eastern female empowerment (or lack thereof). I contemplate the burquas and the veils and wonder: Is she thankful that she didn't have to pick out an outfit for today? Does she hate all that her wardrobe implies? Does she think that I'm a heathen for wearing jeans? Until I find someone to answer my questions first-hand, I will have to be satisfied with online reading and Hollywood's version of the truth.

1 comment: