Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Boxing

My boxing lessons have been going well. Thank you for asking. I really enjoy the hour sweat session. (It's really warm in my gym, around 80 degrees. Like all Russians, the Azeris are terrified of being cold. Who could blame them really?). I punch, jump rope and push-up myself silly. Farhad keeps yelling at me in Russian and I'm slightly concerned that he thinks I am aiming to actually get in the ring with somebody. I have no intentions of ever hitting another person, so Farhad can just keep shouting.

Last week, a couple of maintenance workers came in to repair the hanging boxing bag. Farhad and I just ignored them and kept at it. One minute of focus mitt drills, one minute of rest (interval training, it's great for calorie burning). I then noticed that the repair men were only working during our "down" time. The other minute, they were staring and avidly watching us. I'm no physical specimen, so I think they were just flabbergasted that a woman could: a). box b). sweat so much c). be a willing participant

And then, right in the middle of today's work-out, 2 men stopped at the glass door to the aerobics studio. One guy finally opened the door and said something in Russian or Azeri to Farhad, to which Farhad nodded in agreement. Trying to catch my breath, I wasn't really paying much attention until one of the guys said, "Boxer Woman!" Then, Farhad instructed me to start up again. The men were in awe. Or maybe shock? I'm not sure, but after a round, they started clapping for us and were smiling and nodding in approval. I felt like such an ogre - sweaty, red faced, a foot taller than Farhad and wearing Kyle's boxing gloves that are way too big for me. So, what did I do in this awkward situation? I curtsied.

For anyone who is keeping track - while living in Azerbaijan, I have: been mocked for having big feet; gawked at for walking 2 dogs; made a fool while dancing at an Azeri wedding; and now, applauded for being a Boxer Woman.

2 comments:

  1. You do have a lot of energy - no wonder they were looking. Besides that - you're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that you curtsied!!! I just laughed out loud sitting on my couch by myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete