Friday, June 24, 2011

Old Dog, New Tricks

Under no circumstances do I consider myself old.  I'm just more mature now.  But, I have undertaken a few new adventures recently.  First, the most mundane, I learned how to mow.  I know, it's not at all impressive.  My best high school friend was mowing her parents' yard in grade school.  I guess mowing-wise that I was late to blossom, but I have a perfectly good excuse.  Growing up, we always had a pool (so, I'm spoiled too).  My daily chore in the summer months was to vacuum the pool.  It was no small feat when I slept in until 11 a.m. and then had to complete my task in 100 degree heat.  Dad took care of the yard.  And, what a fine looking piece of grass it was!

So, here we are, owning our sixth house and I'm finally biting the bullet.  Except for now, I mow as early as possible (for the neighbors' sake, I wait until at least 8 a.m.).  I want to avoid the heat, of course, but I'm also slightly embarrassed at the finished product.  So, the less people who see me mow, the more people who think that my husband is the responsible party.  They can assume that he is the one creating bald spots and missing several obvious tuffs.

More to my liking, I also started tennis lessons.  When the instructor was teaching us newbies how to hold the racket, I noticed the women decked out in tennis skirts, over-priced tops and visors looking at us and I'm certain they were thinking, "Have they never even picked up a racket before?"  I wanted to state matter-of-factly that, "No, I have not had the privilege."  But, the instructor quickly drew our attention away by hitting balls at us as we learned the proper way to swing.  My internationally diverse "teachers of the world" experience continues, as this instructor is from Chile.  Doesn't really compare with my harsh Russian boxing coach, but still cool.

And finally, I just registered for my first triathlon.  It will be early in August, so I've expanded my training beyond my usual runs to include laps in the pool and until we purchase road bikes, I'm settling for the stationary ones at the gym.  It's called a "sprint" triathlon because it's only a 500 yard swim, followed by a 13 mile bike ride and a 5k run.  Sounds invigorating.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment