Sunday, June 19, 2011

It's a Family Tradition

My family has been going to the Alabama Gulf coast since the mid '80's.  Every summer, the day after school got out, we would load up Clampett-style and drive 14 hours to our little piece of sandy paradise, scattered with beach houses and a spattering of mid-level condos.  It's where I learned to "body surf" and "hunt" for sand crabs as a kid.  In the teen years, it taught me the power of a bikini and the importance of sunblock.   And the summer before college, it's where my best friend and I recognized that the whole world lay ahead of us.  A surreal and terrifying realization for two over-achieving, self-described book worms.

As a young newlywed, the hubby and I saved enough money for our own trip to the coast.  Telling a friend and her boyfriend of our impending trip, the boyfriend said, "It's the Redneck Riveria."  Ouch!  What a blow!  Good thing she broke up with him.  We never liked him anyway.

My family's traveling style has evolved over the years.  Now, flying is the norm and hurricanes have change the landscape into a plethora of high-rise condos, remodeled seafood joints and chain restaurants.  But the important stuff is still the same.  Blinding white sand, crashing waves (albeit a little murky) and the smell of salty air.

I like to tell people that my family is notorious for inviting themselves on each others' vacations.  My sister went with me and the hubby to NYC.  My parents were with us in Vegas.  My niece was with my parents in California.  And I have twice been treated to my sister and brother-in-law's trips to the beach.  I am happy to report that on our most recent trip to the coast in June, we did not spot one tar ball or anything else oil-related.

I think most people have a "place" that will always remind them of their youth and will be a sacred second home or a retreat.  Whether it's grandma's house, church camp or the lake, it's some place that holds special memories and life lessons.  For me, it will forever be Gulf Shores.  Learning of the oil spill along the coast last summer, my heart ached.  It was like hearing that Disney World had gone bankrupt.  "What?! My paradise cannot be threatened!"  But as I have witnessed first-hand, the people and the environment rallied.   Roll tide roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment