Friday, November 5, 2010

Humble Pie

So, the dogs and I are walking along the railroad tracks next to our apartment in Baku. It might sound a little ghetto, and well, it kind of is, but it's a main pedestrian thoroughfare for all sorts of people. We usually see kids walking to school, women in skirts heading to work and men is suit jackets talking on their cell phones. A high point is that it is void of cars, so we get to meander without fear of being roadkill.

Bailey had just found a discarded bone and was pulling on her leash to get to it, when I noticed a young couple, maybe 17 years old, heading in our general direction. The boy hesitantly approached us and held out a camera, gesturing to me. I immediately copped an attitude. I am so sick and tired of being the tourist attraction! Yes, I have dogs and yes, I am wearing boot cut jeans and a hoody and yes, I look completely out of place! "No you cannot take a picture of us!" I said. The boy looked at his female companion for help and again held out the camera to me. I was really on my high horse now. Knowing that they did not speak English, I just said, "No! No! No!"

The boy offered a pleasant smile and kind of tossed the camera at me. I caught the camera as he joined his friend a few feet away. The were posing side by side....wanting me to take a picture OF them. My faced turned red, but was thankfully partially hidden by the camera as I snapped a quick picture of the smiling couple, linked arm in arm.

The boy took his camera back, thanked me in Russian and strolled away. I chuckled to myself and felt extremely sheepish. It's not always about me.
(Railroad tracks. That is NOT our apartment building.)

No comments:

Post a Comment