Monday, July 9, 2012

Oh, I get it

I used to watch the evening news with passing disinterest.  Specifically, stories on child abuse were horrific, but far removed from my life.  Accounts of a missing child, were just another "bless them little hearts" moment.  But in the past few months, I have gone from sympathetic to empathetic.  A complete visceral reaction consumes me when I see these same abhorrent news clips.  It's something about seeing my baby in the face of all of those other children that brings it home.  I sometimes cry and sometimes I say a little prayer.  I always hug my precious baby and vow to protect her.

I want AnnaB to grow up never experiencing anything negative.  I know she will, but a mom can hope, right?  There's a Pink song that shuffles through my Ipod that makes me sing aloud.  It's an anthem of sorts for AnnaB.  The chorus goes:
Pretty pretty please!
Don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than perfect
Pretty pretty please!
If you ever feel like you're nothing, you're perfect to me.

My wish is for AnnaB to grow up strong.  Strong in character and strong in confidence.  Because she is perfect.  And if I do my job right, she too will some day understand all of this.

Watch me outgrow my rugby bear! Annabelle, 4 months old, July 1, 2012.






No comments:

Post a Comment