Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Keeping Up with the Joneses

We've all gone mad.

I thought I had officially "arrived" with the purchase of a stainless steel refrigerator.  But apparently, they were created solely to push border-line OCD people over the edge.  The fingerprints never stop.  Not to sound ungrateful and incredibly spoiled, but can't I go back to a black fridge?  It's hanging out in the garage, keeping the beer cold.  I'm sure it would be happy to get a promotion to the house.

And when did it become vogue to stain concrete?  I thought it would be enough to own a great house in a cool neighborhood.  But, I look out my front windows and we're about the only house without a stained driveway.  The anxiety level is rising.

While I'm ranting, the packaging of irrelevant items has gotten out of control.  At first, it was CDs that took a pair of scissors, teeth and a sharp fingernail to open.  It seems that everything has gone that same route.  It took me 5 minutes to free my eye drops from their box and safety seal.  My dry contacts had plum fallen out of my eyes by then.

We've become a society of ridiculous appliances and overly-processed, shrink wrapped groceries.  And, I still heart it more than Azerbaijan.

No comments:

Post a Comment