Monday, October 18, 2010

Irk

Azerbaijan has been an independent country for only 20 years. They were previously ruled by the heavy Russian iron fist and the Soviets left their undeniable mark on the native people and resources. I look at the locals and their infantile, yet respectable infrastructure and think, "They've come so far." Then, I also mentally put a "but..." at the end of the sentence. As an American, I have had the benefit of a country that is 200+ years in the making. I'm going to overlook all of the major problems Baku faces right now and instead dwell on a couple of insignificant items.

When Kyle visited Moscow a couple of years ago, he was told by a local to never stand in a line, unless you know exactly what you are waiting for. After the collapse of the USSR, long lines formed for everything from bread to clothes. Some people waited for not nearly hours, but days to obtain their necessities. As a result, many Russians will still to this day, see a line and assume that people must be waiting for something really important, so they will join the queue, not even knowing what they are waiting for. So, it comes as a surprise that the Azeris, once so heavily influenced by the Russians, would have absolutely no idea or desire to form lines. The bad habit is particularly maddening at places such as McDonalds and passport check at the airport. People just gather, a floating amoeba, everyone jockeying for the front. No distinct lines anywhere. Maybe it's a left-over notion that whatever it is that they are waiting for will run out, but for Westerners, it means running out of patience.

As my sister-in-law Cassidy, who's a 2nd grade teacher said, "We learn lines on the first day. Line up for lunch, line up for PE, line up to catch the bus. Wait your turn." I tell myself every time I encounter a line-less scenario that I will be rude and push my way to the front. And I always get really close. And then something happens, maybe it's the elementary school training seared in my mind, but I just can't seem to to override my inherent nature to let the person who was there before me go next. I can't stop being considerate. Maybe after a few more months in Baku, I will get over it.

It is recommended that you do not drink the tap water in Baku. It's fine to bathe in, wash dishes, we give it to the dogs, but not safe for human consumption. So everyone, ex-pats and locals alike, buy large jugs of water and consume many thousands of smaller bottles of water every day. The used bottles are not recycled and even though there is an abundance of trash cans along the sidewalks, a lot of people just simply throw the bottles, gum wrappers, cigarettes, tissues, paper scraps, wherever they happen to be. It's interesting to watch the large crow-like birds or the hundreds of stray cats pick through the litter. They are quite adept at finding the remains of popcorn and crackers and scattering the leftovers. Maybe the Azeris know that the babuskas with the homemade brooms will be right there to sweep up the trash, but whatever the case, it makes for a crazy, depressing walk on windy days.

Like I mentioned, not life or death issues facing us in Baku. Just annoying habits that drive type-A people (yours truly) absolutely crazy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Type-A Friend,

    This would drive me INSANE! I hope you adapt to their ways... life's too short in Baku to not push and shove. Take advantage of it while you can. Just don't do it when you get back. :o)

    And what's this about all of the plastic bottles and no recycling? That makes my stomach turn. Maybe you could rally up support for a Baku recycling plant in your spare time?? Just a suggestion. :D

    Miss you!

    (typo on the first post... didn't want to leave it on a type-A blog)

    ReplyDelete