Thursday, August 5, 2010

This one goes out to Melanie

I feel like Elaine in that episode of "Seinfeld" where a bird crashes into her hair because she has "a big freak head." Except in my case, I apparently have big freak feet.

It was on our third stop at a name brand athletic store that the sales girls just laughed outright. At least the other sales people had enough tact to just smile sweetly while they shook their heads. I had asked for a size 10 sneaker. Sometimes I can get away with a size 9, but 9 1/2 is the best and they say that for running, you should move up another half size. Thus, a 10 seems to work the best and leaves me with far fewer blisters and black toenails (why do I love running so much?). Even though the girls are of average height or even a little taller than most American women, very few wear true athletic shoes. They opt for slip ons (think Sketchers), if considering a sneaker at all. Apparently, I was one of very few who would have the audacity to ask for such an item in such an outrageous size. We went through EVERY model of sneaker available, nothing bigger than an 8! We tried the Nike store, Adidas store and several sporting goods store in both Almaty and Baku, until we finally found the last pair of size 10 in the Eastern hemisphere. Not the cutest shoes to ever adorn my feet, but I felt lucky nonetheless. Now, I just need a pair of houseshoes.....

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Let's be honest, I would have to go bare foot...I'd be the laughing stock of AZ (that's my Azerbaijan abbreviation-probably not the correct one)asking for size 11!!! but I'm honored that you thought of me through the whole process! :-) I feel your pain though so if you ever need me to get a cute pair here and ship them to you, you just send me the message!!! :-) I've loved reading your posts and look forward to more...I think I'm starting a blog soon with little home projects I've done and jewelry... Hope the adjustment is getting better now that you're in a better apartment!

    ReplyDelete